Digital imaging similar to Google Street View will soon be available for 680 miles of hiking, biking and water trails in southeast Michigan.
The Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) is partnering with Terrain360 to capture high-resolution, 360-degree images of the region’s hiking and biking trails, trailheads, points of interest along trails, rivers, riverbanks, access points on rivers and boat or kayak launches, according to a news release.
Camera operators will capture trails from July 8 to July 18.
“This visual mapping of our region’s trail network will be integrated into Southeast Michigan ParkFinder, allowing lovers of the outdoors to preview regional assets in a virtual environment and prepare for their real-life outdoor adventures,” SEMCOG Director Kathleen Lomako said in a news release.
“This enhancement will highlight the beauty and recreation opportunities of our region while also enabling parks and trail providers to continue improving their coordination efforts.”
Featured hiking and biking trails will include:
- Livingston County: 20 miles of Lakelands State Park Trail.
- Macomb County: 36 miles, including Macomb Orchard Trail, Clinton River Park Trail and River Bends Park Trail.
- Monroe County: 14 miles, including River Raisin Heritage Trail, National Battlefield Park and Sterling State Park Trails.
- Oakland County: 55 miles, including Addison Oaks County Park and the Clinton River, Paint Creek, Polly Ann and West Bloomfield Trails
- St. Clair County: 14 miles, including Blue Water River Walk in Port Huron and Wadhams to Avoca Trail.
- Washtenaw County: 25 miles of Border-to-Border Trail.
- Wayne County: 44 miles, including Detroit Riverwalk and Dequindre Cut, Downriver Linked Greenways and Hines Park Trail.
- Livingston/Oakland/Washtenaw/Wayne Counties: 140 miles of Huron River Water Trail.
- Macomb County: 70 miles, including Clinton River Water Trail and Lake St. Clair Water Trail.
- Monroe County: 44 miles of River Raisin Water Trail.
- Oakland County: 41 miles of Clinton River Water Trail.
- St. Clair County: 116 miles of Blueways of St. Clair.
- Wayne County: 62 miles, including Detroit River Heritage Trail and Rouge River Water Trail.